Sunday, July 6, 2014

Why Potassium?

  

Happy Saturday! If you've ever wondered why I would choose such a bizarre name for my blog, hopefully this short anecdote will answer all your questions.


It wasn’t a dark and stormy night or anything. Well, it may have been stormy, given this area of the country. And dark, due to the probable abundance of storm-clouds. It wasn’t night, however. It was day, in the middle of my sophomore year of high school.


  I was paying ever-so-much attention in my Physical Science class. Paying attention, that is, to the periodic table behind my teacher, (I’ve always had an ineffable affinity for the periodic table of the elements). Elements have the funniest symbols sometimes: Au for gold, Ag for silver, Fe for iron, K for Potassium…


    Potassium with a Capital K. Now wouldn’t that make a fabulous title for something? Originally, it was going to be the name of a story podcast, but when I changed the plot for that, its title remained, floating emptily around my mind. And how could I let such an excellent title go unused?

[The elemental symbol for Potassium, ‘K’, comes  from the neo-Latin word Kalium. Neo-Latin was used in formal writing from around A.D 1500-1900]


Keep on glowing in the dark,
Elora

No comments:

Post a Comment