Friday, July 25, 2014

Top 10...Thursday? Awesome Things at the EMP Museum in Seattle

     So, here's what's going on. I've decided to change the schedule for my blog since the previous schedule was getting impossible to keep up with. Instead of posting on Tuesday, Wednesday and Saturday every week, I'm going to do a Wednesday post one week, then a Top 5 Tuesday the next. I'll post on Saturdays as often as possible.

     This week I had the pleasure of visiting the EMP (a music, sci-fi, and pop culture museum) in Seattle. I was going to post this list Tuesday, but I was busy returning from my trip that day. Then I was going to post it on Wednesday, until I realized that 'Top 10' sounded better with 'Thursday', than "Wednesday'. Welcome to my thought process. So here is my list of 10 awesome things I found in the sci-fi and fantasy exhibits at the EMP. Basically, it will just be me geeking out. Enjoy.

     Come through the portal of coolness to a world of sci-fi  and fantasy icons.....


10. Original Princess Bride Costumes 


     This beloved fantasy parody definitely belongs among the classics. Can anyone name the three characters  to whom this costumes belonged?


9. Original Princess Bride Blades


     Even if you haven't seen The Princess Bride, (which would be very sad for you),  you've probably heard the line swashbuckling Spaniard Inigo Montoya uses to challenge his elusive rival, the six-fingered man: "Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die." Here we have the props from their final confrontation: two very nice blades, and the six-fingered man's glove.


8. The Science Fiction Hall of Fame


     A futuristic-looking gallery of photographs and bios of some of the most influential creative minds in sci-fi.

7. Ralph McQuarie Design Sketches




     Ralph McQuarie was the concept artist for Star Wars. Talk about someone who shaped pop culture. Even non-fans recognize Darth Vader's mask, R2-D2, lightsabers and the like. Here are some early sketches of one of the most infamous villains of our time.

6. Lt. Data's uniform from Star Trek: The Next Generation



     Data, the android longing for humanity is probably the most endearing crew member in Star Trek's first spin-off.

5. A Classic Doctor Who Cyberman

     This metallic menace appeared in the 1983 Doctor Who episode "The Five Doctors", in which the first five incarnations of television's favorite Time Lord shared screen time.

4. Lt. Uhura's uniform from Star Trek




     Nichelle Nichols played a unique and revolutionary character in Uhura during the 1960's. Her uniform and communications earpiece are displayed at the museum.

3. A Dalek from classic Doctor Who
     One of the Doctor's arch enemies, this Dalek from 1982 has had its share of action. You probably can't see it from this picture, but one of his gold nodules is missing on the left side. That would be enough to 'In-fur-i-ate' anyone.

2. Darth Vader's Original Lightsaber



     Remember earlier when I talked about how iconic Darth Vader and lightsabers are? Well here is Darth Vader's lightsaber! The original prop from the famous scene where the villain revealed his true identity to young Jedi Knight, Luke Skywalker!


1.
 
     Yes, this is that chair. Captain Kirk's command chair from the groundbreaking 1966-69 sci-fi series Star Trek. Ever heard of it? Being a bit biased toward Star Trek, this was probably one of my favorite things at the museum. Plus, it was surrounded by tribbles.


     This was a fantastic trip. I am so glad I was finally able to peek inside EMP. If you are around the Seattle area, it is definitely something to check out. 


     I would like to especially recommend the Icons of Science Fiction exhibit, (which is where most of these pictures came from). Aside from having fantastic mementos from the history of the genre, it also explores many of the deep questions and themes central to sci-fi.


I hope you had fun taking a virtual tour of the EMP Sci-fi and fantasy exhibits with me. I sure had fun putting it together. I'll be back Wednesday with a new post. Until then,

Keep on glowing in the dark,
Elora


No comments:

Post a Comment