Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Top 5 Tuesday: Sci-Fi Episode Titles


    Welcome to Top 5 Tuesday: the day of the week where I spout my opinion on geeky stuff in the form of a list! I hope you enjoy. Since my most recent post was about the silly little title of my blog, I thought I’d make a list of five actually amazing episode titles from science fiction television.

Let’s get started!


5. “Unending” (Stargate: SG-1)
It may seem an odd title for the last episode of a decade-long series, but it very well encapsulates the graceful and clever way the show-runners sent their characters off into the sunset. And the more I think about it, it’s probably a bit of a pun, too.


4. “Dinosaurs on a Spaceship” (Doctor Who)
The newest title on this list, “Dinosaurs on a Spaceship” tells you exactly what you’re going to get. No, the episode is not about unicorns in a submarine. The almost ridiculous name conveys the fun and eccentricity of the story, and is a charming throwback to classic Doctor Who titles such as…


3. “The Robots of Death” (Doctor Who)
“The Robots of Death”, you guys. What more can I say? Leave it to Classic Who to tell it like it is.



2. “Will the Real Martian Please Stand Up?” (The Twilight Zone)
Really, The Twilight Zone should have far more titles on this list. However, I tried to mix it up, so that it wasn’t solely comprised of 1960s sci-fi titles (which are the best). I picked “Will the Real Martian Please Stand Up?” as representative of this mind-blowing series because I think it’s one of the most memorable. It’s quirky. It’s jarring. It sparks curiosity and leaves you wondering who the real Martian is.


1.”For the World is Hollow and I Have Touched the Sky” (Star Trek)
Like The Twilight Zone, the original series of Star Trek should have more entries on this list. And of all the amazing TOS titles, this is the best. “For the World is Hollow and I Have Touched the Sky”. That’s poetry. The title of the episode is a piece of art in and of itself. Nevermind that it was said by a crazy, dying old man in the story. This title is moving!

    

    What did you think of this list? What are some of your favorite titles? What would you like to see lists about in the future? Let me know in the comments! I’d love to hear from you. Thanks for reading!

Keep on glowing in the dark,
Elora

No comments:

Post a Comment