Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Top 5 Tuesday- Sci-fi Trios

    Some of the best characters come in sets of three…

    Now, I suppose I’ve already spoiled the top entry of this list in my sci-fi duos post. However, you don’t know what else I’ve got on here. For example, you don’t know that I’m including another trio from TOS, do you? (Well, now you do). Also, you didn’t know that this list directly ties in to my post for next Wednesday until I just told you.

    Alright, I’d best let you experience the rest of the list for yourselves:

5. Chekov, Sulu, and Uhura (Star Trek):


    These three are probably only on the list because they are my favorite. From the little we get to see of these Enterprise sidekicks in the show, and the little bit more we get to see of them in the movies, we can tell they are not only co-workers, but close friends. Though they may not be very influential on many of the storylines, the diversity they brought to the crew was part of what made Star Trek so influential.

4.  The Eleventh Doctor, Amy, and Rory (Doctor Who):


    The Doctor had the experience (and the time machine), Amy had the adventurous spirit, and Rory had the level-headedness. The three of them were always best together. And, though bizarre, their family relationship was endearing. Yes, I cried watching “The Angels Take Manhattan”. And so did you.

3. Joel, Crow, and Tom Servo (MST3k):


    I need to write about this show on the blog more. It’s pretty great. I picked Joel over Mike for this list, because I love the dynamic between Joel and the robots. And what’s a trio about if  not character dynamics? Joel is the calm, relaxed father-figure, and Crow and Tom Servo are his bickering kids. Knowing their personalities makes it all the more fun to watch them tear apart awful movies.

2. Luke, Han, and Leia (Star Wars):


    The three human protagonists of the original Star Wars trilogy are some of the most iconic fictional characters of the past century. Han is the selfish scoundrel who changes his ways; Luke is the noble hero who grows in power and knowledge, and Leia is the “damsel in distress” who is far more competent than either of them could have expected.

1. Kirk, Spock, and McCoy (Star Trek):


    This isn’t a Star Trek blog. I promise. Star Trek is just so full of good sci-fi things that I have to bring it up a lot. Also, I love it. At least I warned you this was coming. You see, together, Kirk, Spock, and McCoy make up the main character of Star Trek. How do they do this? Why is this trio of characters such an interesting study in the nature of humanity? For that, you’ll have to read next week’s post. A cliff-hanger? A cliff-hanger?! Oh NO!!

This may be one of my more controversial lists among sci-fi fans. What do you think? Do these characters make the cut for  you? Explain yourself civilly in the comments. Also, tune in next Wednesday to hear the conclusion of this post!

Keep on glowing in the dark,
Elora

3 comments:

  1. StarTrek topped Star Wars-Does your Dad know about this? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't really know the Babylon 5 characters well enough yet, but I'm sure they'll end up on my blog once I do. And I think my dad would agree with me in this case... I think... ;)

    ReplyDelete